The Mechanical Design Engineer works in project teams to provide a broad range of mechanical engineering expertise designing systems, parts and assemblies related to infrared sensors. This position is responsible for the mechanical design process including design, analysis, DFM, testing, failure analysis, design iterations, documentation, production support and continuous improvements. This position includes involvement in prototyping and interfacing with scientific, electrical, optical and manufacturing teams to develop sophisticated technology and innovative new products. Job duties also include:
- Planning and tracking your own work schedules.
- Performing Product Development (CAD Design, Solidworks required)
- Rapid prototyping
- BSME/MSME required from an accredited institution.
- Working knowledge and practical/hands on experience with assembly and testing of hardware (thermal instrumentation, inspection, etc).
- Proficiency with SolidWorks required; experience with PDM tools a plus.
- Thermal, fluid and structural analysis using simulation software is a plus
- Proficient with Design for Manufacturability (DFM) practices.
- Experience directing and working with production to support builds and develop build processes.
- Experience with machining practices and what parts can/cannot be created in a machine shop.
- Experience with sheet metal design practices including strength and tolerancing a plus.
- Experience in 2D drawings creation and GD&T.
- Experience with injection molding practices to include draft angles, texture, materials, etc.
- Interface with suppliers during product development to expedite and coordinate part deliveries and resolve design issues with suppliers.
- Provide ongoing engineering support for production.
- Design of automated mechanical systems a plus
- Create technical documentation such as application notes, test documentation, FAQs, user guides, and product specifications in support of FLIR’s OEM products
- Identifies, analyzes, and resolves complex problems affecting our OEM products including various production related issues, design issues, and validation efforts.
- Provide data analysis, reports, and feedback within engineering as requested.
- Support assembly, testing and development activities for the OEM products group
- Support for the production line including yield improvements, process improvements and various efficiencies for our OEM&E products.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Proven analytical and problem-solving skills.
- High energy, proactive orientation; comfortable in a dynamic, fast paced environment.
- Some domestic travel to customer sites and to test ranges may be required (5%).
- Applicants must be either a U.S. citizen, U.S. national, legal permanent resident, asylee, refugee or must be eligible to apply for and obtain the appropriate export control license from the U.S. Departments of State or Commerce